The Pilkington Active Range includes a variety of products featuring Pilkington Activ, the first dual-action self-cleaning glass in the industry. Using the forces of nature, Activ helps keep the glass free of dirt and other materials, giving not only the practical benefit of less cleaning, but also clearer, better-looking windows. This makes it ideal for hard to reach-to-reach roof glazing, skylights conservatories and large glazed areas.
The unique self-cleaning properties come from a dual-action coating that is applied to an external pane of glass. The coating itself has both photo-catalytic and hydrophobic properties that work in rain and shine. Reacting with daylight it, helps break down and loosen organic dirt on windows, while during rain, water flows freely, further removing dirt and preventing streaking. All Activ coatings last the lifetime of the windows.
Many products within the Activ Range also benefit from solar control properties, helping to create clean environments that can be used all year round. Products included in the Activ Range are:
- Pilkington Activ™ Clear: Self-cleaning glass
- Pilkington Activ™ Bronze: Self-cleaning glass with solar control properties
- Pilkington Activ™ Blue: Self-cleaning glass with medium solar control properties
- Pilkington ActivSunShade™ Neutral: Self-cleaning glass with medium solar control properties
- Pilkington ActivSunShade™ Blue: Self-cleaning glass with high solar control properties
- Pilkington ActivSuncool™ A range of high-performance solar control and self-cleaning products for commercial applications
In particular, the Active Suncool helps keep buildings cooler in the summer, either reducing or eliminating the need for air conditioning according to the company. It also has excellent low-e properties that help keep buildings warmer in winter.