The ‘as-a-service’ model has become a regular facet of consumers lives. From Netflix to Spotify, even down to coffee and groceries, the subscription-based model of pricing has even spawned many smart-home based offerings, like the recently announced, ‘smart water as a service’ offering by Moen at CES 2022. Linking together the company’s Smart Water Network, the service offers total control over the home, and it’s something that integrators may want to add for their wellness-focused offerings.
The network includes leak detection, automatic shutoff by the Flo by Moen device ($5 per month), compartmentalized water usage reports, presets for temperature and pressure and more. Automatic pipe burst detection and winterization options will also be coming down the pipe in future updates to the system.
For integrators, this system offers the ability to create an all-encompassing ‘Smart-Water-as-a-Service’ solution to generate monthly recurring revenue (RMR). This is akin to other monitoring services, such as Vivint with its monthly fees for alerts on medical emergencies, tornadoes, floods and more. The Moen Smart Water App consolidates all the company’s Smart Water Network products and is controllable by third-party platforms. Thus, it can be plugged into a single whole-house interface.
“It’s no secret that technology continues to enhance our everyday lives. And nowhere is that more dramatically evident than in our homes. But while water is one of the most essential elements in our day-to-day life, it has been mostly left out of the conversation, until now,” says Mark-Hans Richer, senior vice president, chief marketing and innovation officer, Fortune Brands Global Plumbing Group.
“Our Moen Smart Water Network gives people the power to tap into the unseen network of water flowing through the pipes and valves behind the walls of their home – so they can control, enjoy and conserve the water running through their lives in ways never before possible.”
The Moen Smart Water Network
The Moen Smart Water Network includes a slew of products all controlled and working together via the Moen Smart Water App. Among the features are:
- Automated water security: The Smart Water Security System monitors for potential water risks and leaks and can automatically take action to notify the user, shut off water and help protect the home.
- Water education: Homeowners can now monitor water usage, room by room, where Moen smart water devices are located. This data also helps users set conservation goals and be more mindful of resources.
- Personalized experiences: Within the app, users can set custom presets that control the specific temperature and amount of water dispensed by their faucet, plus personalize preferred gestures for operation of Smart Faucets with Motion Control.
- Voice activation: Users can connect their Moen Smart Water devices to their existing smart home platform and use their smart speakers to activate fixtures, control water temperatures and dispense specific measurements for touchless interactions.
“We’re making water work smarter for homeowners by allowing them to customize their smart water ecosystem with the products, features and benefits that matter to them most,” adds Richer. “If leaks are a concern, the Smart Water Security System has their back and lessens the worry of unexpected water damage. If they love to cook and want to move about the kitchen with ease, the Smart Faucet provides the customization and control they desire.”
Moen Smart Water Security System
The Smart Water Security suite of products includes:
- Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff: A $500 leak and water monitoring device that can alert users of abnormalities through the app and automatically turn off water to prevent catastrophic damage. The device installs onto water lines and monitors water pressure, flow rate, and ambient temperature, while running daily Health Tests to check for leaks and other abnormalities.
- Smart Leak Detector: A standalone sensor that can be placed anywhere in a home to alert homeowners when and where it detects moisture outside of the pipes to help prevent water damage and loss due to a fixture malfunction or environmental factors.
- Smart Sump Pump Monitor: A device that connects to the sump pump to monitor and provide alerts for a potential pump failure and help reduce the risk of flooding.
- Smart Faucet: Touchless faucets with voice-controlled technology that works through Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant or existing smart home platform. Gesture control can also determine temperature and water flow using various gesture schemes.
- Smart Shower: Moen Smart Shower is a digital shower that offers personalization to create a preferred showering experience, with three choices to control the shower: voice activation, smartphone app and an in-shower controller. It’s compatible with Amazon Alexa, the Google Assistant and Apple HomeKit platforms, with controllers available in two finishes. The Smart Shower will be integrated into the Smart Water App in 2023.
- Smart Water App: The Moen Smart Water App allows users to connect to the water flowing through their home. The app gives users complete control over their water from anywhere at any time.
Future Updates for the Smart Water Network
Coming later in 2022, the Moen Smart Water App will provide users with services for:
- Winterize: Users can manually trigger the ecosystem to use the Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff to shut off water coming into the home, then purge the water line via the Smart Faucet.
- Burst Protect: When the system senses that high pressure or low temperatures could put the pipes at risk of freezing, this feature is triggered automatically. It will shut off water to the home via the Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff then purge the water line with the Smart Faucet, using data collected by the devices to know when it’s time to activate the Burst Protect feature.
Another version of this article originally appeared on our sister site CE Pro.