KB Home, one of the foremost leaders of healthy homebuilding, continues to showcase leadership in healthier home living by now including MERV-13 rated indoor air filters in all of its communities moving forward. Able to remove dust, pollen and mold as well as certain bacteria and viruses, MERV-13 filters are some of the highest rated residential indoor air filters on the market, exceeding the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) ENERGY STAR requirements. The filters will supplement the high-performance ventilation systems already present in KB homes, helping to create better indoor air quality.
“We know that improved indoor air quality matters more than ever to our homebuyers, and we are committed to offering the latest advancements in healthier home living,” said Jeffrey Mezger, KB Home’s Chairman, President and CEO. “Constructing healthier homes has been a key priority for us for many years. Adopting the latest in air filtration technology at every new KB Home community demonstrates our continued leadership in supporting the health and well-being of our homeowners.”
KB Home’s Energy Star Commitment
Every KB Home is designed to be ENERGY STAR certified, which, on average, means each home runs 20% more efficiently. Each home delivers tremendous health related benefits, as well, such as an elevated level of comfort, enhanced pollutant and moisture control, reduced spread of germs and eco-friendly features for healthier interiors in addition to improved indoor air quality. The homes achieve these feats through such features as:
- High-efficiency heating and cooling systems with smartphone-controllable ecobee3® lite smart thermostats, which can learn homeowner patterns and help save money on electric bills each year.
- Comprehensive air sealing to help reduce drafts, moisture, dust and pollen.
- Kwikset® interior door hardware with Microban® 24/7 antimicrobial protection that inhibits the growth of microbes, such as bacteria, mold and mildew, on product surfaces.
- Upgrades like Moen® touchless faucets as well as voice-activated light switches and Whirlpool® smart appliances to further help prevent the spread of germs.
- Environmentally conscious products like Shaw® flooring, Sherwin-Williams® paint and quality cabinetry that have fewer harsh chemicals.
Since its inception, KB Home has built over 150,000 ENERGY STAR certified homes after becoming the first homebuilder to commit to making every home it builds certified. The homebuilder also takes the certification process one step further by having third-party inspectors test and verify the homes.