Westin Hotels & Resorts has unveiled a new global study showing the impact of running and fitness recovery as a means for self-care during the pandemic. With 45% of respondents saying that focusing on their well-being has given them a new lease on life, Westin is evolving its industry-leading well-being program to bring world-class recovery solutions to travelers’ fingertips as travel starts to resume.
“The pandemic was a wake-up call around the importance of taking care of the mind, body and soul. In fact, more than half of global adults (52%) said they are putting more emphasis on self-care now compared to before the pandemic, and more than a third of runners (39%) believe run recovery is as important for mental health as it is for physical health,” said Jason Nuell, Senior Vice President, Premium Brands, Marriott International.
Improving Upon Fitness Recovery
The study found that:
- Thirty-six percent of total respondents said that the pandemic has made them realize the importance of mental health and well-being.
- Sixty-five percent plan to continue to focus on self-care post-pandemic.
- Twenty-two percent of runners have seen a positive impact on their running capability since incorporating recovery into their routine.
- Twenty-four percent said they want to continue to focus on rest and recovery after exercising once the pandemic has passed.
- Eighteen percent said they would make more time for recovery after running if they had the right tools.
- And seventy-two percent of total respondents believe a good night’s sleep is important for physical and mental well-being.
Furthermore, as life and travel resume, 15% of respondents are planning to maintain their fitness/wellness regimen when on the road again.
To this end, Westin has teamed up with Hyperice, an expert in recovery technology, to debut Hypervolt recovery stations in the 24-hour WestinWORKOUT® fitness studios at select Westin hotels in San Francisco, Napa, New York City, Washington, D.C., Chicago and more beginning July 1. This exclusive hotel offering uses Hypervolt percussion devices to care for muscles, accelerate warm up and recovery and help maintain flexibility and range of motion.
Guests will be able to use these to either warm-up or recover from a workout, long flight or meeting. It also works to massage away stress and tension. They can even download the Hyperice App to receive guided warm-up, recovery and maintenance routines in sessions like by top athletes, trainers and wellness coaches.